Affirmations are proven methods of self-improvement because of their ability to rewire our brains. Much like exercise, they raise the level of feel-good hormones and push our brains to form new clusters of “positive thought” neurons. In the sequence of thought-speech-action, affirmations play an integral role by breaking patterns of negative thoughts, negative speech, and, in turn, negative actions.
The art of the spoken word is critical in crafting our futures. It is my firm belief that we influence the universe word by word. If we dictate to it our wishes, it will respond. When we utter a sound, we emit a sound wave into the universe. This sound wave pierces through the air and becomes a real object. It therefore exists in our world, intangible and invisible. No words are empty words, as every syllable we speak engages energy towards or against us. If you constantly say “I can’t,” the energy of your words will repel the universal force against you. But if you say “I can!” the universe will endow you with the abilities to do just that.
6 Tips to Word Power Affirmations Correctly
You might have used affirmations before only to be disappointed when they didn’t work for you. You might have even decided that all this affirmations-stuff doesn’t work at all…
But you have to understand this. In order to work, affirmations must be properly worded – that’s what makes them power affirmations:
1. They should be short, clear, specific and action-oriented.
2. Always write your affirmations in the positive and in the present tense.
3. They should stretch your belief a little, but still be credible.
4. While saying your affirmations, create inside of yourself the feeling of having already started to lose weight, or having already reached your ideal weight (visualize yourself slimmer and more toned).
5. Repeat them aloud 7-10 times (or, if that’s not convenient, record yourself reading them with gusto and play back the recording using a headset); best times to use affirmations are first thing in the morning and last thing before going to sleep at night, when your subconscious mind is much more receptive.
6. Use the same set of 10-12 affirmations for at least 21 days, until the new neurological pathways develop in your brain – even though you’ll typically see significant results in just a few days.
Saying your affirmations like you mean it is the key to making them work for you… In fact, this is so important, that it requires additional explanation.
You must say your affirmations while FEELING fully your internal reality created by the words’ meaning. This means to step into the particular situation your words are describing and create a full-body experience containing all your five senses: embed pictures, sounds, smell, taste and touch into this experience, make it as rich and REAL as you can!
To fully reap their power, it’s best to create your own list of affirmations to your unique, specific situation. You can slightly change the ones on the list of affirmations above so that they are believable to you and come from your heart.